Thursday, September 19, 2024

King Vikramasimha and his Minister Anantaguna - Part Three


Kumudika came to the king’s quarters and saw the king whom she thought was dead and the minister Anantaguna who was pretending to be heartbroken.

Kumudika was miserable and nodded. “Now that the king is dead, I have no point in my living anymore. So I will also kill myself when the last rites of the king are performed.

The minister stared at the courtesan, lost for words.

The king woke up weakly. “My dear, you care for me so deeply. I did not die. I am merely weak because of the lack of food.”

Kumudika was stunned. 

After wiping the tears of joy, she ordered a huge feast for the king.

After all that, Kumudika left the king and minister alone.



“Kumudika is devoted to me, Anantaguna. You have to believe me now.”

The minister frowned and shook his head. “No matter what I see now, I do not believe the courtesan, your majesty.”

The king was about to retort when the minister turned serious. “Instead of arguing about this, your majesty, we can use the services of the courtesan. She is a very rich and powerful woman. She can finance your army. With her help you can raise an army and fight your relatives who attacked you.” The minister nodded at the king. “Why don’t you ask the courtesan whether she can help you raise an army?”

The king realized that this was a good idea and went to Kumudika and told her his identity. The king finally asked Kumudika her help to fight his enemies because of whom he had run away from the battle.

Kumudika agreed to this and happily helped the king raise an army to fight his enemies.

Adapted from Katha Sarith Sagar


No comments:

Post a Comment